Saturday, July 27, 2013

‘HEAVEN… ONE GREAT BIG FAMILY REUNION’

           
            This very moment, my wife’s grandmother is laying in the hospital, a very sick lady. A good, God-fearin’ woman, she’s lived a long and happy life, and says she’s ready to go when the Good Lord decides to call her home. We hope that she’ll recover from this illness, but there are no guarantees. Like I said, she’s a very sick lady. All we can do is pray and trust in Him.
            Her being ‘ready to go’, though, has brought up a lot of mixed emotions in our family… especially for me, as I lost my own grandmother not two years past. A loved one’s passing is an emotional one. There’s sadness, grief, and a deep feelin’ of loss, but as I get older, I’ve come to realize that it can be a joyous time, too.
My Mamaw & Papaw Jennings
           Like most Southerners, I come from a deeply religious family. We all grew up in church, and were raised to believe that once washed in the blood of the Lamb that one of these days we’ll get to walk through Heaven’s pearly gates and stand accountable before the Lord.
            Now, I kinda look at things a li’l different than most, especially when it comes to Heaven. I’ve heard preachers tell that Heaven’s gonna be one way, and then another sky pilot comes along and says it’s gonna be a different way. The only thing they all seem to agree on is that Heaven’s gonna be a place of unbelievable happiness and rejoicin’; and that’s good enough for me.
Mamaw Vassie & Papaw Carl Pittman
            With that said, don’t you just know that Heaven’s gotta be one heck of a place? I’ll betcha they ain’t no place prettier… not even in parts of South Alabama or rural Mississippi. Ha! I’m also a thinkin’ there’ll be nothin’ but blue skies and perfect temps there; everybody there’ll be happy and friendly and a smilin’ all the time. No grief, no strife, no troubles whatsoever; just unbelievable happiness. Man, my heart swells just thinkin’ ‘bout it!
            Now, me… I figure there ain’t much of anything that could make a body happier than bein’ amongst family and gettin’ to see all your loved ones once again. I like to imagine that the day I finally set foot there, that my Uncle Ruffin will be a waitin’ at the gates for me, a big ol’ grin showin’ through his gray beard, with a big hearty back-slappin’ hug for me.
My Mamaw & Papaw Pittman
             I figure to find my Papaw Pittman in the Good Lord’s vegetable gardens, tellin’ the angels how best to tend to this or that; and from somewheres off down one of them streets of gold, I suspect I’ll hear the sound of a smoke alarm goin’ off, lettin’ me know that my Mamaw Pittman’s burnt the bread, again.
My great-grandfather Paw Jennings
                 And, ohhh, I so look forward to seein’ my sweet, soft-spoken Mamaw Jennings and my wonderful Aunt Ann, once again. I have missed them so. I can’t wait to sit on the porch at Paw Jennings’ feet, watchin’ him weave white oak splits into baskets as he tells his tall tales, and then later gettin’ to go quail huntin’ with my Uncle Harvey, who I have no doubt will have already traded the archangels out of their very best bird dogs. But, best of all… I’ll finally get to fish with and get to know my Papaw Jennings, who passed away when I was but just a baby. Mamaw always told me that out of all the grandkids, I was the most like him.
My daddy-in-law 'Bud' Bradley
            And, you know… for it to truly be Heaven, there’s gonna have to be a big ol’ kitchen table up there for all the kinfolk and friends to gather ‘round and visit with one another. And, that’s where I’ll find my daddy-in-law Bud, sittin’ there sippin’ a cup of coffee he just reheated in the microwave, as he listens to Amanda’s Aunt ‘Non’ catch us all up on the goin’-on’s around Heaven. Polly will be there, as will R.V. and Amanda’s Papaw Austin. Boy, there’s gonna be some interestin’ tales told ‘round that table.
My Papaw Clay
Of course, there’ll also be a collection of web-bottomed foldin’ lawn chairs sittin’ outside under the shade of some trees, where all my Crane Hill kinfolk will congregate. My Uncle James’ll be a tellin’ jokes, makin’ Uncle K.L. horse-laugh, while Papaw Clay chuckles and whittles on a piece of stick. Papaw Carl Pittman’ll be quietly sittin’ over to one side, grinnin’ ear-to-ear, as he and Uncle Paul Speakman listen to the rest of ‘em carry on. Off to one side, my Mamaw Clay and Mamaw Vassie will be a settin’, listenin’ as Aunt Judy cracks funnies of her own. And the first person that jumps to her feet to hug my neck and kiss my cheek when I show up’ll be my dear Aunt Dwynelle.
My Aunt Dwynelle
And then there’s all the others that I’ll get to meet, as well. Folks that I’ve heard tell of, but have never met; folks such as my grandparents’ grandparents, their aunts, uncles, and a whole passel of cousins.
There’ll be food aplenty, and lots of singin’, ‘cause you know when the Jennings’ get together they’s always a bunch of hymn-singin’. And, lawd, at the story-tellin’. Kinfolk’ll be a comin’ and a goin’, stoppin’ to visit and socialize. It’s gonna be a good time! Matter of fact… it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if’n the Father himself even showed up. If for nothin’ else but for a piece of my Mamaw Jennings’ homemade pound cake or Aunt Ann’s chocolate pie.
            Heaven… it sure is gonna be one heck of a family reunion!

 




1 comment: