Monday, June 4, 2012

‘GOOD MANNERS’


Now, when it comes to manners, my Momma and Daddy raised this ol’ boy right. Yes, siree… I learned from an early age to ALWAYS say please and thank you, yes, ma’am and no, ma’am, yes, sir and no, sir. It was mister, miss, or missus, until given permission to address someone otherwise; a gentleman always gets the door for the fairer sex, and a blue million other particulars that helped to make an Alabama country boy into some semblance of a Southern gentleman.
I was taught that good manners just make life more pleasant for everybody involved. That was especially so for myself, seein’ how my parents were firm believers that the manners I displayed out in public were a direct reflection on them; a fact that they pointed out to me on more than one occasion… with a hickory switch.
Regardless, though, the lessons took, and as I grew older, I came to appreciate how good manners don’t cost a single penny to use and how not usin’ ‘em can very well cost a person very dearly further on down the road. Besides, aren’t our good manners and hospitality what Southerners are known for most?
Most remembered for his military leadership of the Confederacy, General Robert E. Lee was also revered, by both Southerners AND Northerners, for his impeccable manners, his self-control, self-denial, patience, humility, and principled approach to life.
Once, while on his way to Richmond, he was seated in the very back of a railroad car, of which every seat was taken. At one of the stations, an elderly woman of humble appearance entered the car, carrying a large basket. She walked the entire length of the aisle and not a man offered her a seat. When she was opposite General Lee’s seat, he promptly rose, saying, “Madam, please take this seat.”
Instantly a score of men were on their feet, and a chorus of voices said, “General, have my seat.”
“No, gentlemen,” he replied, “if there was no seat for this old lady, there is no seat for me.” Reportedly, it wasn’t long before the car was almost empty, it obviously being too warm to be comfortable.
          Now, if the greatest general of all time, a man well-advanced in age and of very high station, could display good manners daily to even the most common of strangers, so can this ol’ boy. Thank you for readin’ today’s post. I do appreciate it. 

1 comment:

  1. We grew up in a very different world (compared to now), and it would do the country (and entire planet for that matter) a lot of good to revert back to simpler times. I constantly battle my kids about manners, but one of my biggest battles is what they learn from other kids by listening to what they say and watching their actions. I expect more from my kids, based on my own upbringing, and find it sad that other parents don't seem to feel the same.

    ReplyDelete