Saturday, June 30, 2012

‘SOME MEN ARE JUST TOO INTERESTING TO DIE’


Now, I ain’t too big on vampires. Never have been. I AM a big history buff, though. So, when I saw the book ABRAHAM LINCOLN, VAMPIRE HUNTER out on bookshelves, I automatically reached for it… just to see what was ‘up’.
Written as a biography of Abraham Lincoln, , it’s based on ‘secret diaries’ kept by the 16th President of the United States and given to the author by a vampire named Henry Sturges, who in the story, turns out to be responsible for turning Ol’ Honest Abe into a vampire hunter in the first place. After scanning a few pages, I realized that this might actually be a pretty good read.
Yeah, yeah, I know that you’re prob’ly thinkin’ that one of this country’s most revered leaders supposedly havin’ been a vampire hunter sounds really, really hokey, but just hear me out. Author Seth Grahame-Smith outdid himself in transforming the greatest figure from 19th Century American history into the hero of an original vampire tale with humor, heart and bite. The history was accurate, the action fast, and the story amazing. As I’m sure you’ve done before when reading an exceptionally good book, I found myself reluctant to put this one down, continuing to read two or three more pages extra before finally finding a stopping point. It truly was a good read.
In reflection, one of my favorite parts of the book has to do with a line that Henry Sturges, one of the story’s lead characters, oftentimes makes to Lincoln… that "some men are just too interesting to die”. How true that statement really is.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I have had this book on my Kindle for a while, and now you have convinced me to actually read it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete