Tuesday, September 3, 2013

‘YOU GONNA LET OL’ BURY ONE-UP YOU?’

U.S. Capitol building
            Today, I called up my representatives there in Washington, D.C. - Senators Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson and Congressman Tom Graves - to voice my opinion in regards to our country attacking Syria.
Now, I didn’t get to speak to ‘em proper; didn’t really expect any of ‘em to be answerin' the phone themselves; although it really wouldn’t have surprised me had Mr. Isakson done so. He comes across as just that kind of fella. The ladies that I did speak with were very polite and seemed quite interested in hearing what I had to say. Of course, I ain’t such a country hick that I don’t realize that that’s their job, and they’re paid to come across that way. I wouldn’t expect ‘em to be otherwise. Still, what I’m tryin’ to say is… talkin’ with ‘em wasn’t an unpleasant experience.
The Halls of Congress
            Afterwards, I also went on-line to each’s website and sent an email for added emphasis. I kept it short and polite. They’re busy men, what with tryin’ to help run this great country of ours, and they ain’t got the time to stop and read no four-page letters with a lot of fluff and blather in ‘em.
For what it’s worth, each of ‘em now has a record that Barry D. Jennings, of Cohutta, Georgia – one of their most important constituents (at least in my own mind) – took the time to call and make his opinion known to them - his ELECTED representatives.
Write your Congressmen
Now, like I’ve said before, some of y’all may figure me callin’ and sendin’ ‘em emails was just a waste of time; that it won’t change a doggone thing, but I disagree. How in the world are them three Georgia boys we sent up to Washington-town to represent us, supposed to know how us folks back here to home feel about things if’n we don’t let ‘em know from time-to-time? Besides, doin’ so also serves as a reminder to each of ‘em that there’s folks back here to home that are a watchin’ and a listenin’ to what they’re a doin’ and a sayin’. Most folks tend to stay on their best behavior when they know that folks are a watchin’. [Insert a wink and a sly grin here]

One last thought… other than just ‘runnin’ your ‘gator’ and talkin’ about it amongst your friends, family, and co-workers... what have YOU done to make your opinions known to your representatives in Congress? What are YOU waitin’ for? Like I said earlier… talkin’ with ‘em wasn’t an unpleasant experience.

CONTACT INFORMATION: 

UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES -

UNITED STATES SENATE -


U.S. Representative Tom Graves 
Telephone - (202) 225-5211

U.S. Senator Saxby Chambliss
Telephone - (202) 224-3521


U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson
Telephone - (202) 224-3643

No comments:

Post a Comment